David joined The Odom Firm in 2008 and has taken a leading role in the firm's eminent domain and zoning law practice. As a property rights attorney, he has always remained committed to working for property owners, often against the government.
David primarily represents individuals and businesses in land condemnation and eminent domain trial litigation, but also in obtaining zoning permits and variances, litigating zoning appeals before local boards, and resolving contract, covenant, and easement disputes between landowners.
David has represented a broad spectrum of people and businesses in property-related matters including: homeowners, places of worship, convenience store gas stations, restaurants (sit-down and fast food), farms, country clubs, subdivision developments, warehouses, small business owners, car sales lots, and hotels.
As a result of his eminent domain work, David has been selected to the North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars list every year since 2015.
David was born in Charlotte, grew up in Greenwood, SC, and graduated from high school in Hendersonville, NC. He met his wife in law school and they have one daughter.
Areas of Practice
- Eminent Domain
- Land Condemnation
- Inverse Condemnation
- Land Use
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- North Carolina, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2010
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
Moot Court Board
Journal of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Law, Executive Editor, 2007-2008
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, B.A., 2005
Political Science Major; History Minor
Reported Appellate Decisions
- "Practical Skills: Recognizing Water Issues and Responding to Them at Various Stages of a Case", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2017
- "Drafts, Depositions, and Discovery of Expert Appraisers", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2016
- "North Carolina Public Use or Benefit", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2014
- "Often Misunderstood: The Scope of the Project Rule and Project Influence", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2013
- "Dollars and Sense: Recovering Costs in your Case", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2011
- "Landlord/Tenant Issues: How Much Does the Tenant Get?" and "New Cost Statute for Expert Witnesses", NCAJ Eminent Domain CLE, 2009
- Eminent Domain Update, NCAJ, 2010 - Present
Honors and Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, Eminent Domain, 2015 - 2018
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, Class of 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Eminent Domain Section, Chair, 2011-2012, 2016-2017
- Mecklenburg County Bar - Mecklenburg Bar Foundation, Bar Leadership Institute Committee, 2014 - Present
- 26th Judicial Bar Candidates Committee, 2015
- Habitat Young Professionals of Charlotte, Chair, 2011 - 2012
- Habitat for Humanity International, HYP Advisory Council, 2013 - 2016